The Crab and Lobster Tap was the first inn on the Isle of Wight. There is a longstanding folktale that King Charles I visited the inn and was sketched by the Owner, but unfortunately early maps of the settlement do not show an inn. However, it is known that the inn dates back at least to the mid-eighteenth century, and it has even been suggested that the name Ventnor is a corruption of the word “vintner”, or wine maker (the earliest landlords brewed their own beer).
The term “tap” originates from the fact that hotels could not sell alcohol to their residents and so would open a bar nearby. The original “tap” was the cottage to the right of what was the Crab and Lobster hotel, and was where the famous Ventnor Crab fair originated, the frontage of the pub being where locals and mainlanders alike would gather for wrestling matches and other traditional events. The pub is one of the very few on the island to have a proper underground beer cellar, with barrels stored directly under the pumps to give a nice short run and perfect temperature.
The current licensees, David and Dianne, look forward to seeing you and extending you a warm welcome combining the best of English pub and ale traditions with some of the finest modern cooking prepared with fresh local ingredients.
The Crab & Lobster
Monday – Friday 2:30pm – 10pm
Saturday & Sunday 12:00 Midday –10pm
Pub Food Available
Monday to Wednesday 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Thursday 5:00pm – 6:00pm (Quiz starts 7:00pm promptly)
Friday 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm – 8:00pm
Sunday Roasts 12:00 midday – 5:00pm (Sunday Roast Only)
Pub Quiz Night
We hold a weekly fun quiz every Thursday at 7pm hosted by our very own Dave The Landlord.
This quiz is perfect for all ages and abilities. Holiday makers and families are always welcome.
We provide a chocolate prize for each round, along with a hot dog (Vege option is available) at half time.
All of this is for £1.00 per person
Please pre-book tables due to Covid Resrictions and limited seating
Come along, give it a shot and prove how clever you are?
Providing both Sky Sports & BT Sports.
All regular events have been postponed due to covid
Please see our Facebook page or our regular advert in the South Wight Chronicle for updates
For Private events and parties please contact us on 01983 852 311
The Crab & Lobster Tap Menu
Welcome to The Crab & Lobster Tap, we are a small team who strive to provide a value for money service. All of our food is prepared and cooked on the premises. All dietary requirements are catered for, come and chat with our team. We are family friendly.
Please note that the menu may vary to the website due to supply and demand.
For desserts please ask staff.
P.S – we receive our fresh, locally caught crab every Friday during the season!
Our famous Crab & Lobster Tap Sunday roast is very popular, booking is recommended.
Example Sunday Roast Menu:
Beef, Ham, Turkey or Pork (vegetarian option available) – served with homemade roast potatoes, stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, gravy & fresh vegetables
All the above is £7.00 per person
Extra large or smaller portions are available on request.
Pudding is £3.95 each see specials board
WARNING: Due to popular demand we sell out quickly please call to book your table in advance.
Dietary requirements catered for please speak to a member of staff.
- Garlic Mushroom on Toast (V) – £4.95
- Traditional Prawn Cocktail £5.95
- Mozzarella Sticks & Dips (V) £4.95
- Pan Fried Garlic Prawns on Toast – £6.95
- Spicy chicken wings – £4.95
- Ventnor Sharing Platter for 2 -£19.95
- Chilli con carne, Rice or Chips -£9.95
- 10oz Local Sirloin, Beer Battered Onion Rings, Mushrooms, Chips and Peas. Pepper sauce available on request. – £14.95
- Homemade Fish Linguini & garlic bread – £9.95
- 12 Whole Scampi Tails, Chips & Pea’s – £11.95
- Sarah’s Crab Thermidore in a dish – £10.95
- Vegetable Chilli, Rice or Chips (Ve) £9.95
- Double Breaded Chicken Burger, Chips & Pea’s – £7.95
- Chicken Breast Nuggets, Chips & Peas with salad garnish – £7.95
Traditional Pub Favourites
- Beer Battered Cod Fillet using fine Jamaican beer served with Chips and Peas.
Large (8-10oz) £10.95 Small (5-6oz) – £8.95
- Ham, Double Fried Egg, Chips & Peas – £9.95
- The Crab, Homemade 8oz 100% beef burger, chips & salad garnish (Cheese available on request). – £9.95
- David’s Signature 100% Beef 8oz Lamb & Mint Burger with chips & salad garnish – £11.95
- Savour The Experience – 6oz Homemade Vegetable Burger, chips & peas. (V) – £9.95
- The Crab’s Special Homemade Fish Pie – £10.95
- Portion of Chips – £2.50
- Cheesy Chips – £2.95
- Sweet Potato Fries – £2.95
- Garlic Bread – £2.95
- Homemade Onion Rings – £2.95
All Sweets – £4.95 each
- Sticky Toffee Pudding served with Vanilla Ice-cream
- Fruit Crumble served with Custard or Vanilla Ice-cream
- Hot Chocolate Fudge Cake served with Cream or Ice-cream
- Ice-cream Sundea – Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry
- Profiteroles & Cream
Get in touch
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, or even if you just want to say hello.
The Crab & Lobster Tap
Grove Road, Ventnor
T: 01983 852 311
E: d.weedon (at) hotmail.co.uk